Cohort Co-Leads: Sweden, Romania, International IDEA and Georgetown Institute for Women, Peace and Security (GIWPS)
Summary of Cohort Deliverables:
1. Broad consultations with governments, civil society and intergovernmental organisations representatives from across the globe to ensure that women’s experiences and perspectives inform the key recommendations.
2. Statement of the Recommendations for governments and CSOs to safeguard democracy through the promotion of gender equality and women’s empowerment in all spheres of life.
3. An elaborate Roadmap of Recommendations for actions that governments, civil society and other actors can implement to promote gender equality and strengthen democracy building efforts.
4. Advocated and supported the integration of a gender equality perspective into regional summits in order to place gender equality across the Summit agenda.
5. Convened and hosted global events/foras to reinvigorate and spotlight gender equality as a prerequisite for democracy and underscore that women’s empowerment and safeguarding democracies is interlinked. For instance, the Gender Cohort event at the 2023 UN CSW.
6. Collaborative engagements to identify concrete opportunities that advance the Gender Cohort’s recommendations beyond the Summit through the USAID led Advancing Women’s and Girls’ Civic and Political Leadership Global Initiative and the complementarity with the Global Partnership for Action on Gender-Based Online Harassment and Abuse.