Lawyers and the Rule of Law
10 December 2021 15:00 - 17:00Virtual Event | Organised by ABA Center for Global Programs | Held in United States of America in English
Contact details: [email protected]
Advancing respect for human rights
In this side event to the Summit for Democracy, the ABA Center for Global Programs assembles lawyers, human rights defenders, and heroes from the front lines around the world to discuss the importance of an independent legal profession, which is indispensable to protecting human dignity. The panelists will identify threats to human rights advocacy and highlight efforts to combat these threats.
This session is divided into two parts. In part one, panelists describe current threats to an independent legal profession and the transparent enforcement of legal rights. In part two, rule of law heroes will share their insights into protecting and enforcing human rights and identify how the international community can support their efforts.
No CLE Credit.
Additional Panelists and Heroes to be announced and may be subject to change.
Registrations are first come, first serve.
- Hina Jilani (Asia – Pakistan)
- Fatma Karume (Africa – Tanzania)
- Liudmila Kazak (Europe and Eurasia – Belarus)
- Paula Ávila-Guillén (Latin America and the Caribbean – Colombia & El Salvador)
- Alex Kuang Myat Ahkar (Asia – Burma)
- Eron Kiiza (Africa – Uganda)
- Alfonso Carrillo (Latin America and the Caribbean – Guatemala)