The United States, along with the governments of Costa Rica, the Netherlands, Republic of Korea, and Republic of Zambia, has hosted the second Summit for Democracy from March 29-30, 2023. Following up on the 2021 Summit, this year’s summit aims to bring democracies together to revitalize and improve open, rights-respecting societies from within and to show that they can address the most pressing crises.
Norway, the Czech Republic, and ICNL lead the Summit’s Civic Space Cohort. Together, we developed six workstreams, each of which have calls to action endorsed by governments. Governments are welcome to support individual or all of the workstreams and can reach out to ICNL to convey support: [email protected].
Calls to action:
1. Using the Anniversary of the UN Declaration on Human Rights Defenders to Strengthen Support to and Recognition of Human Rights Defenders and Civil Society
2. Support to Civil Society in Exile
3. OECD DAC Recommendation on Enabling Civil Society in Development Co-operation and Humanitarian Assistance
4. Participation in Decision-Making Processes
5. Advancing International Support for Nonviolent Collective Action
6. Civic Space at the UN
Learn more about our cohort’s workstreams and calls to action here.