Democracy without SRHR is An Empty Promise
8 December 2021 12:30 - 01:30Virtual Event | Organised by Global Justice Center, Fòs Feminista, Embassy of Canada | Held in United States in English with Portuguese Translation
Contact details: [email protected]
Advancing respect for human rights
The Global Justice Center and Fòs Feminista are hosting a side event on the margins of the 2021 Summit for Democracy. Our event will focus on the importance of reproductive rights to democracy, the relationship between authoritarianism and control of bodily autonomy, and the impact of US abortion policies that run counter to free speech and democracy globally, including policies like the Helms and Siljander amendments and the Global Gag Rule. The event will also discuss and propose ways for the United States to realize its commitment as a champion for sexual and reproductive health and rights at home and abroad.
Join us on December 8, 2021 at 12:30 p.m. EST for a discussion between leading experts on the role of reproductive rights in democracies, the relationship between authoritarian governments and control of bodily autonomy, the impact of US abortion restrictions around the world, and how the US can realize its commitment to sexual and reproductive health and rights at home and abroad.
- Seema Jalan, Executive Director of the Universal Access Project and Policy at the United Nations Foundation
- Katherine Baird, Deputy Head of Mission, Embassy of Canada
- Helena Chiquele, Oxfam, Mozambique
- Amanda Nunes, Youth Leader, Anis, Brazil
- Akila Radhakrishnan, President, Global Justice Center
- Serra Sippel, Chief Global Advocacy Officer, Fòs Feminista