Democracy Day – Tackling corruption in shrinking civic space
27 March 2023 02:00 - 03:00Virtual Event | Organised by UNCAC, Asia Foundation, Transparency International | Held in EST in English
Defending against authoritarianism
This event will explore strategies for anti-corruption actors operating in restrictive environments. Panelists will give their perspectives on the following questions:
- Why is anti-corruption the field where we are seeing the sharpest shrinking of civic spaces and threats to civic actors?
- What are the spaces where anti-corruption work is still possible?
- What anti-corruption strategies and tactics are viable for local civil society to pursue in the current context? What is too difficult or risky to pursue?
- Given these insights, how can we strengthen civic actors and expand spaces to tackle corruption? What type of support and resources are needed to enable such work?
- Mandakini Surie – International Development Consultant
- Annie Geron – President of Public Services Labor Independent Confederation (PSLINK), President of National Public Workers Congress (PUBLIK), Vice President of Public Services International.
- Sankhitha Gunaratne – Deputy Executive Director and Senior Manager of Programs at Transparency International Sri Lanka.
- Sumaya Saluja – The Asia Foundation