Amplifying the Voices of Workers to Safeguard Democracy in Africa
30 March 2023 - 15:30Virtual Event | Organised by "Solidarity Center Multilateral Partnership for Organizing, Worker Empowerment and Rights (M-POWER) Zambian Congress of Trade Unions (ZCTU) Congress of South Africa Trade Unions International Trade Union Conferation International Domestic Workers Federation" | Held in (CAT) Southern Sun Ridge, Lusaka, Zambia in English, French
Advancing respect for human rights
“Amplifying the Voices of Workers to Safeguard Democracy in Africa” falls during the second Summit for Democracy, a global democracy initiative co-hosted by Costa Rica, the Netherlands, South Korea, the United States and Zambia from March 28-30, 2023. The second Summit will showcase progress made by Summit partners on commitments during the Year of Action. M-POWER is one of the largest commitments made by Summit partners.
ZCTU and M-POWER have invited representatives from organized labor on the continent at the subregional and national level as well as officials from the governments involved in M-POWER to observe and participate. Interactive sessions will focus on strengthening democracy and opening rapidly closing civic space in Africa.
The event will be in person in Zambia and streamed online. Simultaneous interpretation will be provided in French.
M-POWER is a global initiative that includes steering committee members from governments, philanthropy and labor organizations, including the Congress of South African Trade Unions (COSATU), International Domestic Workers Federation (IDWF), International Trade Union Confederation (ITUC) and the governments of Argentina, Canada, Spain and the United States.
- Joy Beene, Secretary General, Zambia Congress of Trade Unions
- Toindepi Dhure, General Secretary, Zimbabwe Domestic and Allied Workers Union
- Kassahun Follo, President, Confederation of Ethiopian Trade Unions
- Akiko Gono, President, International Trade Union Confederation
- Naomi Kenton Kimbala, Director Gender Youth and Child Development, Zambia Congress of Trade Unions
- Mavis Koogotsitse, Executive Secretary, Southern Africa Trade Union Coordination Council (SATUCC)
- Thea Lee, Deputy Undersecretary for International Affairs, U.S. Department of Labor
- Bheki Mamba, President, Trade Union Congress of Swaziland
- Dan Mihadi, General Secretary, Transport Workers Union – Kenya
- Japhet Moyo, Secretary General, Zimbabwe Congress of Trade Union
- Richard Mulonga, Executive Director, Bloggers Association of Zambia
- Alex Nkosi, Coordinator, International Trade Union Confederation-Africa
- Joel Odigie, Deputy General Secretary, International Trade Union Confederation-Africa
- Guy Olivier Ouédraogo, General Secretary, Confédération Syndicale Burkinabé
- Matthew Parks, Parliamentary Coordinator, Congress of South African Trade Unions (COSATU)
- Lisa Peterson, Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary, Democracy, Human Rights and Labor Bureau, U.S. State Department
- Ruth Sakala, General Secretary, Domestic Workers Union of Zambia
- Henry Sinkala, General Secretary, Basic Education Teachers Union, Zambia
- Emmanuel Ugboaja, General Secretary, Nigeria Labour Congress
- Ezra Sekelani Zulu, Youth Chairperson, Zambia Congress of Trade Unions